Sewer backups are not as easy and fun thing to deal with, but even if you are, you will have to take a few action steps immediately. Plan beforehand, just in case to make the emergencies go easy on you.
Here are the first steps you can take:
- Backups are deemed to be called slow-moving or clogged drains. First things first, try to clear the things which are obstructing or clogging your drain on the surface with the help of a drain cleaner.
- If it doesn’t help, do not use the drain and plumbing equipment on the spot of the clogged drain.
- Check for the water than is standing in your sewer cleanout. If there is no water, your sewer line is clogged. You need not call any city sewers or sanitation to fix it, you have to clean it out yourself or call a plumber if you cannot do it on your own.
- Keep your children and pet away from the clogged drain, both inside and out.
- If the backup overflows, turn your central heating system off and make sure the water does not reach your floor vents.
- If any damage is caused due to the overflow, file an insurance claim.
Immediately call the emergency sewer repairer
After you fix the problem above, immediately call the emergency sewer repairer, so that they can fix the problem further. Mostly all of them adopt the trenchless inspection method. It means that it causes less damage to your property and less disturbance on your landscaping. With the use of this leading technology, it makes the inside of the pipes visible. It assists them in discovering the layout of your sewer pipes, their condition and the cause of the problem. Once the problem is identified, various options will be discussed regarding repair will be discussed with you. Your piping may need a replacement depending upon the severity and nature of the problem. This replacement is done by a process called Pneumatic Pipe Bursting. You can contact Groundstone, if any sorts of the sewer problems occur. Apart from septic system installation and installation of home sewage system, this is a septic designing, installing and repairing company specializing in residential wastewater systems.
Preventing future problems
- Keep the children at bay from flushing toys down the toilet. It can cause a grave havoc on the installed pipes. Install child-proof toilet seat cover so that they won’t be able to open it in your absence.
- Avoid flushing objects like toilet paper, paper towels, feminine hygiene products and baby wipes. These solids cannot be broken down by the bacteria.
- Do not flush down any grease or fat down the toilet because once it solidifies, your pipes will be damaged and your drain will be clogged in no time. Instead, dispose of them in garbage