What steps do you need to take when hiring a roofing contractor in London, and make sure you avoid the pitfalls that can come with an important project like a roof repair or replacement? The answer is surprising simple, hire the right contractor.
Simply put, the steps you take as you search for local roofing companies in London, could make or break your project. Unfortunately, most people are intimidated by the process or just don’t know how to protect themselves and their home.
If you are ready to tackle the hiring on you own there are a few simple rules that you must follow.
- Contact multiple contractors regarding your project – Having multiple contractors (we suggest three) inspect, estimate the cost and discuss the project with you gives you the chance to compare not only price but the way in which the job will be carried out and why.
- Make sure you get written estimates that are full and complete – Never accept an estimate that is not in writing, period. It should include: Specific Material, Warranty and Labour Guarantee, Tear Off if needed, old material disposal and gutter removal and reinstall.
- Get a list of references from previous jobs – A good roofing contractor will have a list of references available that you can contact.
- Check online – Check if there are complaints against the contractors you are considering from previous customers. Online review sites like TrustaTrader and Which? have customer reviews for all traders, so you can gain a good understanding on the quality of work you can expect. (No matter how good a contractor is they will eventually work for someone who had unrealistic expectations, but they should not have a string of bad jobs.)
- Evaluate your information on your own time – Never allow yourself to be talked into making a quick decision no matter how good the estimate looks and avoid on the spot discounts.
- Check their location – London is a big place, don’t get roped into a deal that seems too good to be true, you don’t want a trader from the other side of London who is unable to meet the requirements and timeframe of the job.
Once you have chosen a local roofing company, there are a number of details you still need to take care of. Ask for a copy of the contractor’s license and insurance certificates. Confirm clear times when workers will be on your property, preferably not to early or late and conform to city ordinances.
Get a contract signed that clearly covers all of the information in this list. Having your project expectations in a contract is the best, sometimes only, protection available to you. is it’s a fairly straight-forward process. The more precautions you take before the job starts, the less stressful and more pleasant the project will become.